Aging in Place: Kitchen and Laundry Features
Aging in place design with a remodel can incorporate aesthetically pleasing 3D designs in any part of the home. Let’s take a look out how to accomplish this in your kitchen and laundry areas through the use of lighting and workspace adjustments.
Here are a few ideas:
- Install overhead lights, such as low cost, bright LED lighting, to prevent slips, trips, and falls
- Install task lighting, like under-cabinet LED lights, to illuminate all workspace
- Install pendant lighting to incorporate aesthetically pleasing and elegant features
- Incorporate stripes or other interesting design features or textures to the edge of counters to aid in visual orientation within the room
- Make it easy to put dishes on the counters by having a workspace near all appliances, or a separate area away from appliances
- Add roll-out trays or drawers and/or a turntable to lower cabinets for easy access
- Add pull-down shelving to upper cabinets for reaching items on those upper shelves
- Add glass front cabinet doors so that everyone can see the location of items. This also adds elegance and brightness to the kitchen
- Use open shelving for items that you use frequently. You can do this in creative ways to make them attractive as well as highly functional
- Design your counter with multiple levels to accommodate chefs of differing heights
- Install open under-counter seated area at workspaces.
Building aesthetics into your home is extremely important to create the space you want both functionally and for comfort. Beautiful features can be easily incorporated into your home while keeping it accessible.
The Gordon Reese Design Build, 3D Designer completed the rigorous (Universal Design Certified Professionals) designation to assist in creating your space to make your home perform functionally, and to create styles and features for you that provide that elegant and luxurious feel you crave.
Drop back by for the next blog on aging-in-place appliance features.
Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_in_place] National Association of Home Builders [Source: http://www.nahb.org] 2010 ADA Standards [Source: http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/2010ADAStandards.pdf]