Once you’ve begun really considering and envisioning your remodel, it’s time to put those plans into action. It’s a good idea to look at the inspiration you’ve drawn from other sources, and see how that can fit into your own remodel or addition design.
This process is about bringing your ideas and inspiration together to build a more solid vision of what you really would like in your own home. With a more coherent set of ideas and plans, you will find it easier to choose the right contractor and get the results you really want for your home.
You’ve found answers to the questions about your reasons to remodel and what you want out of the future of your home, and now it’s time to research how the answers to those questions will transform into real life solutions in your remodel.
You may have pictures of color schemes, structures and designs you love, but how does that fit into what you have to work with in your current home? This is where we delve into the details
This is also your opportunity to begin researching and conferring with quality remodelers and contractors in your area, looking at their previous work and reviews to see whether their approach aligns with your style. Although you don’t need to make a decision about your contractor yet, it can be helpful to talk your ideas through with a professional and get their opinion. This is also a great chance to see who you have a rapport with, and could envision working with further in the future.
Details For Your Project
The finer details you need to address at this point include –
- Are the ideas for your home renovation feasible? Will they fit into the space you have?
- Are there certain features and aspects of the remodel you just couldn’t live without? What are the ‘must achieve’ points of your remodel?
- Are there certain features you would be willing to do without to promote flow or minimize cost?
- Based on your inspiration and research, are there any particular materials you want to work with?
- What’s the scope of your project? How many rooms do you want to work on?
- Are you considering major structural work such as a home addition or removing walls?
- Do you want any special features in your home, e.g. a wet bar, coffee station, etc?
- What kind of appliances do you want to include in your finished remodel?
Moving Towards Your Vision
Of course, there will be more questions to answer as you go through the more in depth process of planning your remodel with your architect or contractor, but these questions can serve as a good base to help bring more structure to your remodel ideas.
Having a clear idea about how your notions and inspiration could become stunning realities in your home also helps to guide you in the next steps of your remodel process. The clearer the vision of your future home, the more accurate the process of budgeting for your project will be, and it can also be a process that helps you to choose the right contractor to work with into the future.