Your Ultimate House Renovation Checklist In 2020
Planning a complete home overhaul can be something of a challenge, so you may feel overwhelmed, but it doesn’t need to be that way. By creating a checklist, you can move forward confidently, knowing that you won’t forget anything while remodeling your home.
Renovating A House Checklist
To help you along the way to renovating your house, we’ve put together the ultimate checklist for your dream home. This will help to ensure that you don’t spend money where it isn’t needed, help you to budget, and give you a clear idea of which jobs need to be completed, as well as when you can expect to see the finished results.
It can be useful to begin your project from the outside and work your way in, but there are many things to keep in mind.
- Consider your roof space. It may be worth hiring a contractor to look over the exterior of your roof to see if any repairs are required, or if a completely new roof is necessary.
- Also, inspect the paintwork or the materials your home is constructed from, such as vinyl siding. Make arrangements for these to be repainted, repaired, or replaced.
- Are you looking to install new doors and windows? If so, this should be one of the main points of working on the exterior of the property.
- And don’t forget, a garden makeover can increase curb appeal and breathe new life into your outside space.
Related Content: 3 Contemporary Design Elements Every Outdoor Remodel Should Have
Floor Plan and Layout
Whether you’re looking to add space or adjust the current layout in your home, there are several options.
- Create a room addition, but be sure to seek the correct permissions first.
- Knock down interior (non-supporting) walls to merge rooms. This should be carried out by a professional.
- Add partitions to create smaller spaces.
- Convert a currently unused space, such as a basement or loft area.
- Install built-in storage.
Appliances and Electrical Items
A modern home relies on advanced electronic appliances to help it function and run smoothly. There is a wealth of options to create an easier way of living through technology.
- Opt for integrated kitchen appliances, such as fridges, cookers, and dishwashers.
- Hire an electrician to inspect the general wiring in the home and replace it if necessary.
- Install additional electrical sockets where needed.
- Install new light switches and lighting systems.
- Create a smart home by using a home assistant and accessories, like smart lights, smart media, and smart home security.
- Install a new heater or an air conditioning unit.
What’s under your feet can make a world of difference when looking at home renovation. It is important to decide on the most functional and aesthetically pleasing flooring for each room.
- Update your flooring to hardwood or luxury vinyl flooring, etc.
- Lay tiles in bathrooms or kitchens.
- Purchase area rugs and other cosmetic floor coverings, such as hallway runners.
- Install underfloor heating.
Waterworks And Plumbing
In older properties, it may be beneficial to replace the plumbing system completely to keep your property up to date. Whereas, newer properties may only require a simple maintenance check.
- Replace worn or old pipes.
- Have a professional check your sewer system and perform cleaning and maintenance if needed.
- Install new fixtures, like taps.
- Have a new bath, shower, toilet, or sink installed.
Decor and Aesthetics
Putting the finishing touches on your house can really make it feel like home. If you are going to be living on the property, this is a chance to put your own stamp on it and make it unique. By contrast, if you are flipping the house, it is worth considering neutral color palettes that will help with the sale.
- Choose quality pieces of furniture that are timeless as well as fun, on-trend pieces that are affordable and easy to replace as your sense of style changes.
- Display some wall art, mirrors, or paintings.
- Decide on a color scheme for each room and select paints and wallpapers. There are removable wallpaper options now, too.
- Choose soft furnishings and decorations to match the theme of each room.
- A fireplace makes a statement in a room and adds another form of heating.
- Dress your windows. Blinds, curtains, and shutters are all excellent options.
- Buy moveable storage units to provide some extra storage space.
- Install new light fittings, lamps, and lampshades.
Related Content: 4 Easy Ways to Keep Track of Your Home Design and Remodel Ideas
Where Do I Start?
Even when you have a good idea of what you want to do with your home, finding the right person to complete the job is essential. It is important to choose a company you can trust, who will respect your home and provide high-quality work. At Gordon Reese, we provide everything from simple bathroom remodels to total home renovation. Give us a call at 925 261-7257 and find out how we can transform your home into your desired dream space.